About Me

My photo
We ate well and cheaply and drank well and cheaply and slept well and warm together and loved each other. - E.H.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Honey Lemon Moisturizer

OK, this recipe surprised me. I really, honestly, wasn't expecting it to turn out as well as it did. This moisturizer is light, creamy, lightly scented and works! The ingredient list is really simple (compare that to the back of your conventional moisturizer), and its super easy to make. Also, this recipe can be scaled up - which I recommend. You're going to want to make lots.



You'll need:

2 tbsp beeswax - I picked up a pound for $5 at my local farmers market
1/2 a cup liquid oil of your choice (I used almond oil, but you could use whatever you'd like)
A few drops vitamin E oil (optional, but nice!)
3 tbsp water
essential oils for scent - I used lemon

1. Combine the beeswax and oil in a double boiler (we used a metal mixing bowl inside a pot of boiling water), and let the beeswax melt and combine with the oil.
2. Remove the mixture from the heat and blend it, using an immersion blender. This aerates the mixture, making it fluffier. As you are blending, slowly add the water, the vitamin E oil, and the essential oil to taste (smell?). I found it helpful to blend the mixture in stages, letting it cool and firm in between blendings.
3. When the mixture has changed in colour from clear/yellow to white, and has begun to firm into a creamy texture, pour it into jars. It will finish cooling and hardening in the jars.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment